Friday, November 11, 2005

Have you hugged a vet today??


I ran up new Army and Air Force flags at my house last night, the old ones were getting quite worn and frayed, and I didn’t want them looking bad today. They wave proudly beneath the American flag that flies over our house all year long. Before I left the house this morning, I kissed Seth’s cheek while he was still asleep and did the “Mom” thing of rubbing the top of his head. Then, I gave his wife, Katie, a hug. I stopped at my Dad’s on the way to work and gave him an extra-big hug and made plans to go out to lunch with him today. When it gets to be daylight in Alaska, I’ll give Kevin a call and send him my love. I also e-mailed a friend who spent last year in Iraq, the daughter of a high school friend who also just returned, and my uncle who was a B-17 pilot during WWII. This is a ritual I look forward to every year on Veterans Day. You see, these people, all vets or will-be-someday vets, are my heroes, and I want them to know just how much they mean to me.

Have you hugged a vet today??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home