Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Missing my little boys

I was listening to the radio on my way to work this morning and heard that song - Stealing Cinderella - about the way a father sees his daughter even after she's grown and about to be married...the way my dad still sees me sometimes..... :) As I sang along with the song, I began to cry...I realized just how much I miss my little boys. The song made me think about when they were little...playing at the park, riding bikes, rollerblading, running through the sprinkler, and playing in the sandbox (the one in the back yard, not the one in the middle east).

None of my boys were Cinderella by any means, or even Prince Charming for that matter, but they were my little boys and they have definitely been stolen away. Kevin was stolen by the Air Force when he was only 18 (I cried all night the day he left for basic training); Rick was stolen by his wisdom and maturity (he's such a wonderful young man); and Seth, my baby boy, was stolen first by the Army and then by Katie. But mostly, they've all been stolen away because they grew up. They aren't my little boys anymore, they're all men.

I don't have any hard feelings about any of it, though. In fact, I'm extremely proud of them and the men they've become. I'm just feeling a little nostalgic today and a bit weepy, because I'm missing the time when they were little. I guess it comes with getting older and watching them leave home and live their own lives.

I'll be fine, really, but I have some advice for all you mothers out there with young children. Hug them tightly while you can and spend every possible moment with them...they grow up so fast..... :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Awww!
I'm crying LOL! Yes, I'm finding out they grow up way way too fast! The love you have for your boys is amazing. I hope they know what a great momma they have:)

11/14/07, 12:58 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm already dreading the whole growing up part lol. I know it's not the same, but my sister is 7 yrs younger than me and she just turned 17 in Sept. I can't believe how old she's getting and how fast she's gotten to this point.

Courtney's right, your boys are very blessed and I hope they know it.

11/15/07, 11:18 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I loved this post. I think you and I must cry about the same things because oh, I know where you are coming from. For me, I guess the only way I can compensate for Scott and Laurie being adults is to love their children. Although it's not easy with Laurie, Stephen and Kasey being across the country. With Scott and Tina separated though, and with Scott now living here at home, we at least have the opportunity to have Veronica here on the weekends.
Your little boys are fine young men. I am thankful for their service - and for the great job that you must have done raising them.
blessings and hugs.

11/17/07, 6:23 AM  
Blogger ABW said...

So sweet. I am dreading my kids growing up! (Well sometimes I hope Abs makes it without too many problems! LOL)

11/18/07, 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home