Friday, January 06, 2006

Blackout......???

I think we're having our first communications blackout...only a month into his deployment. I've heard others talk about them, and know what to expect, but......yeah, it's tough. We haven't heard from him in two days. The hardest thing for me is not knowing. I heard about the incidents on Thursday...the roadside bombs that killed some soldiers in Baghdad...but I don't know who...and not hearing from him is gut-wrenching. I understand why they stop all communications, but it doesn't make it any easier for those of us who are waiting to hear something.

I admit it, we've been spoiled. We've been able to talk to either Seth or one of his buddies on the IM every day since he arrived in Iraq. My dad is still in awe of that. We don't talk for very long, maybe 20 or 30 minutes, but it's long enough to know that he's okay, and that's all that matters. Katie was literally bouncing after the last time...go figure. But, there's something heartwarming about having one of his friends tell me, "Seth's doing fine"...and then later, end the conversation with, "take care, Mrs. ------." Imagine that, a soldier deployed in a war zone telling me to take care. Yeah, that's the kind of brothers he's with right now. God, I love 'em all!!!

But in this case, as crazy as it makes me not to hear anything, I guess no news is good news.

3 Comments:

Blogger Some Soldier's Mom said...

yes, the blackouts are rough... and you NEVER get used to them... never... hong tight -- they always call, email or IM after a blackout just to reassure (they're such good "boys"!)

1/6/06, 11:23 AM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

The communications' moritoriums are just painful. The mentally trying to figure out if it was possible that your soldier was involved, not being able to focus on anything else, the rationalizing back and forth...I can remember when my soldier called me after the first one, and 5 guys had been killed in his unit, I actually said to him: "no ways are you f*cking re-enlisting"...but I have definitely grown stronger this year, and react differently now...Hold in there, I am thinking of you guys.

1/6/06, 4:28 PM  
Blogger dyzgoneby said...

I am not looking forward to this either. I guess my moto soon is going to be "No News is Good News"

Sending you big Hugs!!!!

1/8/06, 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home