Monday, December 24, 2007

A frosty Christmas Eve

I was wrapping presents last night when my little sister called and said I had to go out to look at the bright star hanging just to the top right side of the full moon. Wow!!! As I stood gazing at the star, shivering in the cold, my thoughts took me to another place and time...that of the very first Christmas. Oh, what it must have been like to have been there. I thought of the song by John Denver. It's called Noel: Christmas Eve, 1913 and was taken from a poem written long ago by Robert Bridges. It's not a very well-known song, but it speaks of what I was feeling as I looked at that star last night, and what it must have been like the night of our Savior's birth. Maybe it's just a little bit more special to me because I was born on a frosty Christmas Eve many years ago. Anyway, if you have clear skies tonight, take a moment to check out that bright star by the full moon. And if you have the Christmas CD by John Denver and the Muppets, listen to that song. For those of you who don't have the CD, I've posted the words below......very appropriate for Christmas Eve.....

A frosty Christmas Eve,
When the stars were shining,
I traveled forth alone,
Where westward falls the hill.
And for many, many a village
In the darkness of the valley
Distant music reached me,
Peals of bells were ringing.

Then sped my thoughts to olden times,
To that first of Christmases,
When shepherds who were watching
Heard music in the fields.
And they sat there and they marveled,
And they knew they could not tell
Whether it were angels
Or the bright stars a singing.

But to me heard afar,
It was starry music,
The singing of the angels,
The comfort of our Lord.
Words of old that come a traveling
By the riches of the times,
And I softly listened
As I stood upon the hill.
And I softly listened
As I stood upon the hill.

Merry Christmas, my friends, and many blessings to you and your families and loved ones......wherever they may be..... :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Charla said...

What a great song, thanks so much for sharing it with us!! :) I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!! Have a safe and wonderful New Year! I'm hoping to be back to blogging more this year!! Take care KBug!! :)

12/28/07, 1:34 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Wonderful post! Haven't been around with the kids here and I suspect you've been busy too. Merry Christmas ( that's ok to say until Epiphany, right?) and Happy New Year and (I didn't miss that one "maybe it's because..." in the middle of your post)...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
God bless you and your family in the New Year..
Hugs and blessings.
Sue

1/1/08, 8:01 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Happy New Year.

1/2/08, 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your year has been a good I havent been on much but I wanted to touch base .!

God Bless Take care !
Mary

1/14/08, 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home