Monday, August 17, 2009

A friend's book...

My friend, Fred Minnick, spent 2004 in Iraq as a U.S. Army journalist. He was based in Mosul, though he traveled around the country to cover military missions and events. We kept in touch by e-mail during his year-long deployment, and he wrote a blog, In Iraq for 365, using the name Sminklemeyer that I read everyday. Some of you will know him as Desert Smink. His was the first military blog I ever read, and it had me hooked from the start. I checked his blog constantly for new posts . . . some had me rolling with laughter, others brought me to tears. I told him that he could paint a picture with his words . . . a picture that was vivid and made me feel like I was there and that I knew the people he wrote about. I, along with everyone else who followed his blog, encouraged him to write a book when he returned home.

Well, that book, Camera Boy: An Army Journalist's War in Iraq, is finally being published, and it's a good one. How do I know? I got a sneak peek . . . . . :) Anyway, his book will be available in November and can be pre-ordered at http://hellgatepress.com/display_book.php?id=84.

4 Comments:

Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

That is so cool.
I do remember him.

8/19/09, 4:35 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That's so neat. I will have to check it out!

8/24/09, 9:19 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

K,
I will check this out for sure. Something for Ron for Christmas. But of course I will have to read it too - maybe even before I wrap it. :)
It's good to see you, my friend.
Hugs,
Sue

9/20/09, 5:17 AM  
Blogger Shionge said...

Awesome!!! I'll check it out, thank you :D

4/1/10, 1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home