Monday, October 20, 2008

Here . . . and gone again

With all the excitement of the new baby, and just being busy, I never posted anything about Seth coming home for R&R. He arrived home on Monday, September 29th and was flying to Hood, of course, but he had a short layover in Dallas, so Kevin and I went out to meet him. I offered to buy him some lunch and where did he say he wanted to go? McDonalds . . . with a big grin on his face. I knew he'd been in the sandbox for nearly 4 months, but come on now . . . . . ugh! It was a short visit because he only had a couple hours between flights, but it was sooooo good to see his face. He was really anxious to see Katie . . . and to get to meet his brand-new baby boy face to face.

We went down to Hood the next weekend. Seth had requested Thanksgiving dinner while he was home, since he was going to miss the real one, and Katie went all out. She borrowed a turkey fryer from a friend to fry the turkey and boy, was it good. And we had all the fixin's too . . . giblet gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes (I've never cared for them before, but Katie's were really good), deviled eggs (the boys love 'em), rolls, and chocolate pie and pumpkin pie for dessert. Mmmmm!!! We stuffed ourselves . . . . . :)
Katie, Seth, and Sawyer came to Dallas the next Tuesday to catch up with the rest of the family and friends. We had a burger bash on Saturday and invited everybody. It was fun and the food was good. And everyone who hadn't had a chance to meet Sawyer yet got the chance . . . and of course, they got to see Seth and Katie, too.
They headed back to Hood that Sunday afternoon and spent the next week just doing things together as a family. They had some great pictures taken, too. Is he not just the most beautiful baby you've ever seen??? Okay, I admit it, I'm a bit prejudiced . . . . . :)

They took some family pictures, too. This one isn't my favorite, but it's a good one. I have yet to get my favorite from her . . . maybe when she comes in next month . . . . . :)
Then, these two are just too wonderful for words . . . . . :)

Last Saturday, however, his R&R came to an end. Katie and Sawyer said goodbye to Seth at the airport in Killeen, and it was really hard for Katie. She told me that Seth held Sawyer at the airport and kissed him and told him that he was going to miss him. She cried on the way home, and I cried when I saw this picture.
Seth had another layover in Dallas, so we went out and spent a little time with him while he waited for his plane . . . along with all the other troops awaiting a return to the sandbox. We ate at McDonalds again . . . ugh. I was going to give him a pocket angel, but he pulled out his wallet and showed me that he still had the pocket angel and St. George medallion I gave him the last time he was deployed. That made me smile. I gave him one last hug as he prepared to board and watched him until he was out of sight. It will be a very, very long time before we see him again . . . and where he's going, they only have internet on one shared computer, so we may not hear from him much either. That will be especially hard for Katie . . . she wants so much for him to be able to see his son as he grows . . . . . *sigh.*
Lord, I commend Seth into your care and safekeeping . . .

10 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

Dont worry i will get you that picture...lol I liked your comment it was good... Sawyer and I are doing good, just taking it one day at a time.. and as much as i loved having everyone around im glad that its just us two for a little while..

talk to you soon

DIL

10/20/08, 1:07 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

My heart goes out to you and Katie. It's so hard when a Daddy has to leave his son. I love that picture on her site. I have one like that when hubby got back.
How long is he gone for?

10/21/08, 8:16 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, that picture on her site is so precious. He is definitely adorable. I pray that time goes very quickly for all of you!

10/21/08, 10:50 AM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

What a great looking family.
I am so glad you had a lot of quality time with Seth and his family.
Hugs and prayers going out to you and yours.

10/23/08, 4:27 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

K,
Beautiful post, wonderful pics - including the one on Katie's site. Really I do need to leave a comment there soon.
I know what you mean about long long time. May God help each day to go swiftly and safely - and prayerfully for Seth to see those pictures of Sawyer more often than anticipated.
Blessings on your family, K.
Sue

10/24/08, 8:11 PM  
Blogger Infantry Dad said...

K,
Our prayers are with Seth.
Strange how I couldn't wait for Matt to be out of that hell, and now I feel guilty about being relieved?
It makes me think daily about all of those still serving.
God bless Seth for his unselfish sacrifice for all of us safe and sound.
Great post.
John

10/28/08, 5:40 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

time to update...come now you gotta keep up....lol

sawyer rolled over again today... and he is smiling at me now when i talk to him... hes finally responding..now he is a lot more fun instead of just laying there staring...lol

Dil

10/29/08, 9:57 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

well next weekend i guess cause the following weekend im busy... just let me know what you decide...anytime is ok with me, nothing really going on, if so you can stay home with the boy...lol

let me know

dil

11/1/08, 9:44 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

POST SOMETHING NEW>>>>





DIL

11/5/08, 8:50 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

actually i gave him the st. George medallion, i sent it to him.

1/22/09, 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home