Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Off to say goodbye...

Seth's deployment seemed so far off once, like it would never really get here . . . but suddenly, it's right around the corner. How is that possible? How did it get here so quick? And shouldn't it be easier this time? Well, it is . . . and it isn't.

I've done this before. I know what to expect with a deployment. I know some of the tricks of the trade this time around. I know things have improved over there lately. I know he'll be in a place that's not as dangerous as some. I know he can take care of himself . . . well, mostly . . . . . :) So it should be easier this time, right? My emotions should be in check this time, right? Yeah, well, that's what I keep telling myself . . . . .

I also know that Iraq is not a good place to be no matter where you are. I know that this deployment will be longer than the last one . . . 15 months. No, the change to 12-month deployments doesn't mean anything for him, only for those deploying after August 1 . . . they will probably beat him home. I know that he's leaving a pregnant wife behind this time. I know that his son will be born while he's away. And I know that same son will be about a year old before Seth redeploys. Yeah . . . easier . . . . .

Well, anyway, we're off to say goodbye tomorrow. Seth has a 4-day weekend, his last weekend before he leaves, and we plan to spend it camping, floating the river, sitting around a campfire at night, talking, laughing, and basically just hanging out . . . the whole family. I'm really looking forward to the long weekend and the time we'll spend together . . . but I'm not looking forward to the goodbye.

7 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Will keep you in my thoughts. Please tell him thanks for me.

6/4/08, 9:41 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this again. I will be keeping him and your whole family in my prayers.

6/4/08, 11:18 AM  
Blogger Reasa said...

I am sorry you have to do this again. My prayers will be with you this weekend.

I am here now if you want to give me a buzz.

6/4/08, 7:37 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. I hate that they have to go more then once, and for longer.
I thought about you the other day when I was going through some things with my oldest I remember the things you would post on my blog about how your boys are now when they are older and it brought me peace of mind to know that our sons will always be our babies.

6/6/08, 12:41 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6/9/08, 2:29 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

K...
I'm so sorry about Seth's deployment - and the length of it as well. Even though we will soon be walking in the same shoes for nearly the same amount of time, I also realize that each of our loved ones are unique - which makes each deployment mean different things to every family. When you cry the tears, also remember the hugs - those you shared this weekend and the ones you will share again.
God bless your family with His love and protection.

6/9/08, 2:36 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I hate to hear your going through all this all over again. Seems like all our guys just got home & some are leaving again. I'll be keeping you in my prayers along with Seth & his wife.
Congrats on the baby boy! Another lil boy for you to watch grow huh=)

6/12/08, 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home