Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Mixed up feelings

I was trying to tell a friend about my mixed up feelings today...but it's hard to explain them to someone else when you don't completely understand them yourself.

Seth has a relatively safe, but important, job in Iraq that he enjoys, but it keeps him from going out on missions most of the time...which frustrates him to no end. I think most mothers understand how their sons can feel this way. We've all been through their broken bones from jumping off a roof or out of a tree...or the stitches from climbing a chain-link fence with the points sticking up at the top...or the dislocated and broken toes from doing wheelies on a three-wheeler without brakes...yeah, okay, that was all Seth...... :) There's just something about that rush of adrenalin that makes their day. I've always understood that guys need that. But I think most mothers would be thrilled that their son was in a safe place...and I am...but...

That being said...we heard from Seth that he got to go out on a mission this weekend. He sent us alot of pictures that he took while he was out and a picture that was taken of him in his full battle gear. That picture, of course, has been forwarded to my dad, the Marine. Now, maybe it's my upbringing (all those war stories), or maybe it's just the fact that I want my boys to be happy and do what they love to do...but I was absolutely thrilled to hear that he had gotten to go on that mission...and I hope he gets to go on more missions. I know it's dangerous out there, but I also know how badly he wants to go out.

So my question is...does this make sense? I want him to be safe, yet I want him to be able to go out on missions at the same time. Talk about mixed up!! Am I the only one who feels that way???

5 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Know exactly EXACTLY what you mean!

5/24/06, 7:06 PM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Yeah, I totally understand. My boyfriend loves flying. And while he was in Afghanistan, he once wrote to me: "Have I already told you how much I love flying here?" It almost brought tears to my eyes to see how happy he was doing what he was doing. Nevertheless, I was pretty happy when he would complain to me about his lack of flying occasionally. He would complain that he was just sitting around. And I would be silently thankful of his boredom.

5/25/06, 4:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I know what you mean too. It's something that they love to do and although you want them to be safe, you want them to be happy too.

5/26/06, 6:13 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I too know exactly what you mean. We want them to be happy, and be safe, so no, it's not mixed up feelings if you ask me. Just a mom feeling.

5/26/06, 7:52 PM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

I got them same feelings. I am proud he is serving, but yet, I wish he never would have signed up.
When this is all over with, and we look back at all of this, we will be glad that it was part of our life, and glad it is in the past. Now does that make sense.

5/27/06, 3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home