Monday, June 12, 2006

Honored and humbled

When I was in Paris, I got to spend quite a bit of time with my big boss from Illinois - our publisher and company president. Working out of different offices in different states has kept our conversations limited to the phone, emails, and the couple of times a year our paths cross on business trips. He's a family man with 4 sons, ranging in age from 29 to 8. They're all doing well - the oldest one graduated from college and now has a great job; the next oldest is in college; the number 3 son just graduated from high school and has been accepted at a very good college; and the youngest is all about baseball and sports. All great guys!!!

My boss is great, too. He's been especially supportive when it comes to my two military boys. He's always asking about how they're doing, especially Seth. While we were in Paris, every time my boss introduced me to someone he knew, he would tell them about my sons and about Seth being in Iraq. I was a little bit embarrassed by this, but flattered at the same time because he thought so much of my boys when he'd never even met them. But I didn't realize just how much he thought of them until we were sitting at a small cafe one night having a drink before calling it quits for the night.

As we sat there talking, he suddenly got very serious and said, "Your boys are the future of our country." I was a bit taken aback by his comment, but said, "Not any more so than your boys are." His next comment left me speechless. He said if his two oldest sons were asked to serve in the military, they'd probably head for Canada. Then he said that the one just graduating from high school might serve, maybe, if he had to, and that the youngest one probably would, if asked, because he thought he'd done a better job raising him. Then he went on to say that my boys had volunteered to serve, and that they were the kind of people who would keep our country great.

Wow!!! I never expected that and I think I sat there with my mouth hanging open for a minute or two. I couldn't think of anything to say. Shoot, what can you say after something like that?? I can't fully describe my feelings at that moment, but I didn't think it was possible to feel so honored and so humbled at the same time.

Okay, that being said, let me put things into perspective where my boys are concerned. When I told Seth what my boss said about them, he laughed and said, "Yeah, I'm the next George Bush and Kevin is the next Condoleeza Rice." .....Alllllrighty then...there's a reality check for ya..... :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Wow. I really can't think of much else to say than wow. It is great to know that people are as proud of our men as we are. And I would expect the same reaction from Danny that came from Seth. Those guys are so typical. :)

6/12/06, 10:48 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That is a great compliment. Although most guys serving would have the same reaction. To them it's their job, nothing to be thanked for. That's why I think they're so great!

6/13/06, 4:11 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Thats really sweet. Its nice to know theres still good people out there. Especially good bosses....lol! Take Care!

6/15/06, 8:49 PM  
Blogger A Guy on his Journey said...

I'm sure your proud of your boys. He's right. None of us were drafted. We all volunteered. We're not the ones that will run. We're the ones that will stand up and defend. And we will carry that flag if it should fall.

6/24/06, 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home