Monday, July 03, 2006

Small world

I gotta tell ya, after my last business trip, I truly believe that this is a very small world.

Last Tuesday morning, I flew to Fargo, North Dakota on business. I've never been there before and didn't know anyone who lived there, so I was very surprised to find that I had something in common with one of the people there.

The last night we were in town, we had dinner and a movie at the old Fargo Theater. It wasn't a sitdown dinner (it was really heavy appetizers and drinks without tables and chairs), so a few of us filled our plates and headed for the carpeted stairs leading to the balcony. We were talking about the day spent out playing with the the backhoes and skidsteers and other construction equipment. I love driving those things..... :) The site was near the airport, which just happened to be the home of the Happy Hooligans, Fargo's Air National Guard F-16 unit. I could hardly concentrate on what people were saying for the fighters taking off and landing right there. Hooah!!! I love air shows!!

Anyway, in talking about the F-16s, the conversation turned to the Air Force, and of course I mentioned Kevin and that he would be working on F-16s at his new base in New Mexico, and that we were flying up to Alaska this Friday to drive back to the lower 48 with him. One of the people with the company putting on the event said her brother was in the Air Force and was stationed in Alaska, too.....what? I asked her which base and she said Elmendorf.....really?? I asked her what he did and she said he was a jet mechanic.....you're kidding me!!! I asked what kind of plane he worked on and she said a C-something.....a C-130, no way!!!! The C-130 and E-3 Awacs are in the same squadron.....I can't believe it!!!!! What's his name and rank??? I'll ask Kevin if he knows him next time I talk to him.

Well, I asked Kevin about him this weekend, and he does know him!!! As it turns out, her brother is no longer a mechanic, he's an instructor. But every time Kevin has gone to get run certified on his engine (which is every year), her brother was the one who administered the test. Oh my gosh!! Talk about a small world!!! This is crazy...but in a good way..... :)

Hope all of you have a great Fourth of July.....this definitely IS a day to celebrate!!!

And if I don't get a chance to post again before we head for the Great White North, have a wonderful July..... :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

That's really neat. It is a small world after all. Have a safe trip and Happy 4th of July!

7/3/06, 11:01 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

That is so weird. Out of all the places and people to meet. It really is a small world. Just the other day I met someone with a support our troops shirt and I asked her if she had someone over there, she said no but she is a singer for the troops. I asked her where all she has performed and she said Fort Hood. I was like how funny that is where my fiance is stationed. Talk about a small world.

7/5/06, 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home