Friday, July 07, 2006

Thoughts of Seth

I don't think I have to tell any of you how often I think about Seth these days...he is constantly on my mind. I get to talk to him on the IM (once a week, if I'm lucky) and occasionally get to see him on the webcam (it's always great to see his face). Talking to him on the phone rarely happens, but when it does, hearing his voice and his laughter is better than anything and lets me know that he's doing okay. Yeah, I worry about his well being, both physical and mental.

Here we are, about to embark on a two-week roadtrip through Alaska and Canada with our middle son, whom I also love dearly (he's my huggy bear). I can't wait till this afternoon when that big jet liner takes off for the Great White North, but part of me hates the thought that I'll be completely out of touch with Seth for those two weeks...no Internet, and no cell phone service till we get back to the lower 48, and then it will be sporadic, at best, through the Rockies. So, I'm excited...yet apprehensive. I know I'll have a great time, but I also know that I'll be thinking about Seth and wondering if he's doing okay the whole time...*sigh*. I can't help it...Mom's are like that.... :)

My dad, being the Marine that he is, has a subscription to Leatherneck magazine. He showed me a couple of poems in the back of the July issue the other day, and one of them spoke to me as no other has. The poem is titled I Have a Son; He's Gone to War by Amanda Lord. Since I'll be away from the computer for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd leave all of you with a few exerpts from that poem...the ones that speak the same language as my heart...

I have a son; he's gone to war,
Location vague, unknown.
It doesn't matter where he is;
I just know he's not home.

My memories are strong and true
But cannot be replaced.
The joy I feel when he is near
Will never be erased.

Sometimes the need to hear his voice
And know that all is well,
My mind can think of nothing else;
I do not mean to dwell.

Unless you have been in my shoes,
This pain I can't convey.
To know he's safe and feels my love -
I worry night and day.

Emotions run both hot and cold,
I feel both pride and fear.

...

My son, I long for your return
To touch your dear, sweet face.
To hear your laugh, look in your eyes,
And feel your strong embrace.


I don't think I have to tell any of you how much I look forward to the day he returns, either...it can't get here soon enough for me.

Love you, baby boy. I'll talk to you in a couple of weeks..... :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I know it's tough having them away, but we'll make it through this together.

Have fun on your trip!

7/7/06, 9:45 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Awww that is such a sweet and sad poem. I know that going on vacation is fun but it sucks at the same time because you don't have a computer or phone. But remember it is only two weeks. We are tough women. You can do it. Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures.

7/7/06, 12:21 PM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

That poem says it all.
I guess worrying goes with the territory of being a mom.
Keeping Seth in my prayers.
Have fun on your trip. When you get back, two weeks will have gone from Seth's deployment. He'll be two weeks closer to home.

7/7/06, 6:16 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

update

7/25/06, 10:29 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

update update update update update update update update update update update update update update update......


dil

7/26/06, 3:47 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I honestly can not imagine how I would feel if I was in your shoes. You are doing a great job.

Have fun on your trip!

7/31/06, 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home