Tuesday, August 22, 2006

That's just Rick

Okay, where do I begin to tell you about Rick, my oldest boy? He is truly one of a kind.

From the time Rick was born, he was an easy-going kind of guy...very laid back...and that hasn't changed much through the years. You can see it in the picture below where he and Kevin are "lazy canoeing" on a lake in Alaska.
Being the first grandchild on both sides of the family, he garnered alot of attention...but he never demanded it. As his brothers came along, he graciously stepped aside as the center of attention and adored both of them...but that's just Rick... :)

He's a quiet, shy guy...which, once again, doesn't make him the center of attention with people...but that gentle, quiet nature makes him a natural with animals. When most people run out of patience, his is just beginning. I've watched him sit quietly for hours waiting for some wild animal to approach him...and it usually will. Somehow, the animal can sense that he's not a threat and will respond to that. However, his slow-moving nature usually has us waiting for him quite a bit, too. This sometimes drives his Dad crazy, but I don't mind it...much...that's just Rick... :)

He's a peacemaker. He's calm, cool, and collected and can see both sides of anything. He thinks things out in a logical, level-headed manner. If there's a disagreement, he can step in and calm everyone down without making anyone mad. The first time this happened, I missed it...but I heard about it from so many others that I just had to smile. There are times that I bounce things off him to see what he thinks, because I know that he'll give me an honest and well-thought-out opinion. He really should be a negotiator...he has a real gift...but that's just Rick... :)

He's also sensitive, soft-hearted, and caring. He'll do anything for anybody, anytime. I remember a time when the boys were young...maybe 12, 9, and 7...when I was trying to clean the house and they kept dirtying it up right behind me and getting in the way. Well, I finally had enough and told them to go outside to play and not come back in until I told them they could. (Don't get the wrong idea, it was nice weather and not a school day...lol.) Anyway, I fussed at them and shut the door behind them. In just a couple of minutes, there was a small knock at the door...it was Rick. He asked if he could come in and help me clean. Oh my gosh, that really melted my heart and still does when I think about it...but that's just Rick... :)

Rick's not much of a huggy-bear, though. For years, since he was about 12, I've had to chase him down to give him a hug. At one time, it was probably the usual "I'm too old to be hugging my Mom." But then, during his highschool days, it became more of a game...he'd grin and sidestep me. Now that he's older, he just kind of smiles, rolls his eyes, and stands still until the hug is over. I actually got to dance with him at Seth's wedding last year. But notice the smile, the rolling eyes, and the look of "is it over yet"...but that's just Rick... :)

He has a wicked sense of humor, but people who don't know him very well don't get to see that. He reserves his true self for those he's close to. When Katie first met Rick, she thought he didn't like her because he wouldn't say much to her. Now, they have become friends and she is amazed at how funny he is.
His sense of humor is so subtle at times, that you can miss it completely, but for those of us who know him best, it can be "in your face"...but that's just Rick... :)

Now, don't get me wrong...Rick may be shy, quiet, sensitive, and caring, but he is all guy. I got the rare opportunity to see him come out of his shell at church one time when the youth were in charge of the service. He and some of the more rowdy bunch very quietly walked back and forth across the balcony, one at a time, where no one but the youth in the pulpit area could see them. I realized something was going on when I noticed one of the youth looking that way. When I turned to see what it was, I saw Rick walk quietly across the balcony. You'd think that I would have been upset, but I couldn't help but laugh...it was Rick coming out of his shell. I loved it and treasured the moment. And when he's with his brothers, oh my gosh, they can get rowdy and rank...even at their ages...but, God help me, I enjoy every minute of it. It's just so wonderful to see them all enjoy each other so much, and it's great to see Rick "be all that he can be."

You may be wondering why I chose today to talk about my first-born son. Well, today is Rick's birthday...and I have a very special message for him...

Happy Birthday, Rick. I'm so glad you came into my life and I got to spend so many years with you...watching you grow into the man you are today. You've brought me more happiness than you'll ever know. I'm so very proud of you and I love you very much.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

BRUDDER...

HEhe yes its my name for him...lol
well yes i am glad that me and rick have a special bond, not many girls really get to talk to him or be so close... I have always heard you go on and on about seth and kevin but not about rick, it was good to hear about him today...lol
happy b-day brudder

love ya both

dil and sis

8/22/06, 2:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That was so sweet, it brought tears to my eyes. Happy Birthday to Rick!

8/22/06, 3:18 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICK!!! That was so sweet. He sounds like a wonderful guy. You are truly blessed.

8/22/06, 9:07 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Happy Birthday Rick! That was so sweet!

8/25/06, 10:05 PM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Sorry I missed Rick's birthday...but better late than never. Happy birthday Rick, just a few days late. May God bless you today and always.

8/29/06, 3:47 AM  
Blogger MQ said...

Hey Kbug, thanks for visiting my blog the other day. I think it may be even harder on moms to see their sons go to war than for wives. As a mother of two boys it makes my stomach turn just to think about it, but we made it through my husbands so... :)

Happy Bday to yours!

8/30/06, 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home