Saturday, October 21, 2006

A soldier's homecoming.....

I was driving home yesterday listening to my favorite radio station and singing along with the music. Between songs, the DJ said that 2nd Lt. Johnny ____ was on his way home and to be sure to turn on your headlights if you were on northbound 75 to show your appreciation for his service. I got a huge grin on my face thinking that someone had called in to share their happiness at their loved one coming home from war. I wasn't on 75, but wished that I was so I could share in the excitement. All I could think about was that next month we would be welcoming Seth home and that just made my smile bigger.

After another song, the DJ once again said to remember that 2nd Lt. Johnny ____ was on his way home and to be sure to turn on your headlights and that if you saw an Army van and a hearse....

I don't remember what was said after that. It felt like a ton of bricks had just been dropped on my chest...this was not the kind of homecoming I had thought it was. My heart began to ache and the road became blurry as the tears came. I immediately thought about this young man who was probably fresh out of college and officer's school and probably younger than Seth. I thought about his family, who I'm sure had hopes and dreams of welcoming him home at the end of his deployment like we all are hoping to do with our loved ones.

Lord, please wrap your loving arms around this family...give them the strength they need to deal with such a terrible loss and help them find some peace. Surround them with family and friends and let them know how many are thinking and praying for them right now...and that their son won't be forgotten...

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

My prayers are with his family.

10/21/06, 8:34 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I'm crying right now. That is soo sad. My prayers are also with his family.

10/22/06, 11:11 AM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

May I add my amen to your prayer.
My heart is breaking.

10/29/06, 3:32 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

My prayers to this family & any family who has to go through this.

11/2/06, 4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home