Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The ups and downs of deployment

Well, we had a stunner this weekend. I was at my dad's house visiting with my Canuck brother who came in from Calgary and my other brother who drove in from Oklahoma City. We were doing our usual "someone's in town so we're having a gathering" cookout. We're a really close family...always have been...but when mom was dying of cancer 12 years ago, we came together tighter than I ever thought possible.

Anyway, back to the story...we were hanging out, joking around, and eating great grub, when Katie called...she was visiting her family in east Texas and signing for a house on base...woohoo...finally...but that's another story. She said that she'd gotten a call from Rear D (rear detachment, the guys on base who are supposed to keep soldiers' families informed). They told her that the guys would be coming home in a couple of weeks and said they'd call 4 days before their arrival to let her know what day and time. She was all aflitter...excited, yet upset, because she didn't know where they would live for the few weeks before they could take possession of their house on base. I told her not to get excited, it was probably a mistake, as Seth had already told us that he wouldn't be home this month. Sure enough, when she talked to Seth the next day, he verified that no one he knew of would be coming home in a couple of weeks. WTF?!?!?!?!

Now, I know that Rear D is trying to do their job and all, but for them to call and say that he would be home when he won't just kills me because it got Katie all wound up. It makes me want to strangle whoever it was that made that call and also makes me wonder if it was Rear D at all or some kind of prank call. I swear...the ups and downs of deployment are pretty rough sometimes. But I'm still smiling because the time is getting shorter every day, even though it's quite a bit longer than "a couple of weeks."

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

That is terrible! I'm so sorry that they did that. At least it is getting closer all the time. I hope that it goes by quickly for both you and Katie. It's wonderful that you got to spend time with your family and that you're all so close! I love when my family is able to get together, family sure can be a blessing!

10/17/06, 10:56 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

That is horrible. I am currently trying to figure out what is going on with the homecoming as well. I hate not having exact dates and times. I like to plan ahead. But I guess I need to get used to it considering I am going to be a military wife. WE ARE ALMOST DONE!!!!!

10/17/06, 1:44 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

The military and homecoming is ALWAYS annoying to me. They never give you the right dates, then they say it's one day and you get all happy only to find out, it's a week or so later, or a month....it's just part of the military way unfortunately.

Hope Seth comes home soon for you too :)

Sandra

10/18/06, 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home